Thank you for your interest in the O’Dowd community. An O’Dowd education, among the finest on the West Coast, provides a college preparatory experience that is profound in its impact, preparing students to achieve their goals and to create positive change in the most demanding and challenging era in history.
Uniquely located at a crossroads in the East Bay, O’Dowd offers transformative college-prep learning for a just, sustainable and economically prosperous world. With 1,200 students and a supportive community rich in its diversity, we are just the right size to provide both new friends and extraordinary programs that challenge and support intellectual, moral, and personal growth.
As you explore O’Dowd, we are confident you will find:
- Highly effective teaching and learning that prepares students academically and socially for the best colleges – as reported by returning graduates.
- Broad and deep academic and co-curricular programs anchored in Catholic values that promote intellectual excellence, strength of character, resiliency and spiritual wisdom.
- An unmatched focus on sustainability, experiential learning and social justice that nurtures kinship with creation through the Center for Environmental Studies and the surrounding four acre Living Lab.
- An authentically diverse community that fosters social intelligence and self-confidence.
- Teachers who skillfully incorporate technology to enhance student learning and motivation.
- Excellence in athletics, campus ministry, debate, and performing and visual arts that nurtures teamwork, creativity, growth and joy.
- Intensive student support for all kinds of learning styles – and aspirational counseling that encourages independence and self-confidence for thoughtful college and career choices.
There are a number of excellent schools in the Bay Area that share such characteristics, however, few can offer the entire constellation of elements that ensure our students become the positive change-makers so needed in the world of today and tomorrow. We encourage you to talk with members of our community about their experiences, and invite conversations with you about your children.
Welcome to O’Dowd.
STEPHEN PHELPS, Ed.D., President
JAMES CHILDS, M.A., M.Ed., Principal