The Bishop O’Dowd High School Volleyball program is one of the most successful volleyball programs in the Bay Area. For the past 22 seasons, the varsity squad has finished the season no less than 3rd place in the North Coast Section Championships. Since 1991, the program has achieved some outstanding team honors:
- 24 Varsity League Championships
- 8 North Coast Section Championships
- 7 Semifinal Appearances in CIF Northern California Championships
- 41 players committed to play in the college
- 7 North Coast Section Scholastic Team Championship Awards
- More than 20 North Coast Section Scholar Athletes each year (includes Varsity and JV)
- Team GPA average of both Varsity and JV teams is above 3.5 each year
In 2006, Bishop O’Dowd High School expanded its volleyball program to include a freshmen team. This has proven to be very successful in increasing the opportunity for young women to be apart of the enriching traditions established in Bishop O’Dowd Volleyball.
West Alameda County Conference (WACC) – Foothill League
2012, 2013, 2014
Hayward Area Athletic League (HAAL)
1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Alameda Contra Costa Athletic League (ACCAL)
East Shore Athletic League (ESAL)
1989, 1990, 1991, 1992
North Coast Section (NCS) Champions
NCS – 1st Place
1995 (Div. I), 1999, 2002, 2007 (Div. III), 2008 (Div. III), 2009 (Div. III), 2010 (Div. II), 2013 (Div. III)
CIF – Northern California Playoff History
1995 (Div. I – Semifinals), 1996 (Div. I – Semifinals), 2001 (Div. III – Quarterfinals), 2002 (Div. III – Semifinals), 2004 (Div. III – Quarterfinals), 2005 (Div. III – Semifinals), 2007 (Div. III – Semifinals), 2009 (Div. III – Finals), 2010 (Div. II – Semifinals), 2013 (Div. III – Semifinals)
- Overall responsibility – This taken seriously with respect to self, team and all others virtually covers all rules.
- All school policies as specified in the Bishop O’Dowd Student Handbook will be in effect for all volleyball players.
- Communication between coaches and teammates must be cultivated by everyone at all times.
- You are a representative of Bishop O’Dowd Volleyball and Bishop O’Dowd High School at all times. All players and coaches must model exceptional integrity, ethics, respect, and good sportsmanship on and off the court.
- Your commitment to family and academics must come before volleyball. However, you have made a serious commitment to the volleyball team and the program. It will be expected that you do everything possible to fulfill your commitments to family, school and volleyball. If a conflict arises that cannot be resolved, it must be communicated immediately to the coaches.
We field varsity, junior varsity, and freshmen teams. All three teams usually carry around 15 players.
Volleyball is a fall sport with the season beginning in early August with tryouts and ending at the end of November with end of the season championship games.
TRYOUTS, GAMES, PRACTICES
Official tryouts will be held in early August.
After the teams are selected, practices for varsity and freshmen team will normally be held Monday; Friday after school from 3:30pm – 5:30pm. Junior varsity practices normally are held Monday – Friday from 6:00 – 8:00pm. Game dates and times will be announced once all leagues have met.
Note: Once selected as a team member, players are expected to take part in all practices and games.
Volleyball at O’Dowd is competitive. Most young women who tryout for a team have years of experience. Parents and athletes are encouraged to talk with the head coach about their volleyball experience as it relates to the level of competition here at O’Dowd.
Dragons in college
2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1991 1990 1988
Kenza Hall – Middle Tennessee State University
Navah Evans -Long Island University
Brianna Karrseboom – University of California, Davis
Bryanna Davis – La Salle University
Mary Orbeta – Seattle University
Sophia Mar – University of Connecticut/ UC Davis
Lacey Maas – Santa Clara University
Lindsey Parrott – UC Berkeley
Jordan Pehanick – UC Santa Barbara
Alex Lynch – University of Tennessee/ Clemson University
Andrea Olsen – University of Notre Dame
Katherine Huntington – University of Chicago
Monique Holt – UC Riverside
Molly Kennedy – Cal State Monterey Bay
Rachel Stier – Marquette University
Megan Kehoe – Northeastern University
Caroline Mercado – UC Davis
Blaire Safir – Colgate
Robyn Hall – University of Portland
Jessica Atthowe – Golden West College/ Menlo College
Ariell Cooke – University of Miami
Maria Zizka – UC Berkeley
Joanna Evans – Stanford
Meaghan Mena – Loyola College of Maryland
Kiersten McKoy – Georgetown University
Erika Beutler – Gonzaga University
Alyssa Pence – Dominican University
Colleen Boston – Holy Names University
Kelly Kearns – Fordham University
Vanessa Vella – Cal State – Fullerton
Kelly Ong – University of Hawaii / Holy Names University
Nikki Esposito – University of Puget Sound
Marisa Vierra – Seattle University
Jeannine Manguiat – Westmont College
Simone Ortega – UC Berkeley
Kelly Sousa – Santa Clara University
Caitlin Kelly – Diablo Valley College
Andrea Szabo – Eastern Michigan University
Lauren Vanderveen – University of Massachusetts
Erinn Kelly – Gonzaga University
Lia Vittoria – UC Santa Cruz
Carolyn Clevenger – Georgia Tech University
Janine Malcolm – University of Portland
Michelle Charron – UC Santa Cruz
Sharon Lawson – Golden West College
Michelle Scherer – Cornell University